The story of Eamonn Deacy Park began when Eamonn’s grandfather, Martin Joseph Morris, sold land in Terryland to the Galway FA in 1950 for £250. The stadium was first known as Terryland Park and in 1977 League of Ireland football first came to Galway when Galway Rovers first played in the League.
In 1981, Rovers changed their name to Galway United FC but their home remained on the banks to the River Corrib in Terryland. The stadium underwent redevelopment in 1993. In 2007 a €500,000 government grant went towards developing a new 1,500-seater stand. The new stand was opened in July of that year and raised the seated capacity to 3,300 and overall capacity 5,000. The Stand is now named the Comer Stand after Brian and Luke Comer.
The stadium has hosted five Republic of Ireland U21 fixture and other international under-age matches. Every year Eamonn Deacy Park holds numerous matches and finals for the Galway local and district league. In 2012, following the untimely passing of the Galway football legend Eamonn ‘Chick’ Deacy, the Board of the Galway FA proposed to rename Terryland Park in his honour.
This event occurred at a tribute match held between a Galway legends team and an Aston Villa legends team.
In 2013, Women’s National League football made its debut in Eamonn Deacy Park with the first game between Galway WFC and Wexford Youths Women.
It is also home to Airtricty League side Galway United FC.